The Exodus Road is a non-profit organization that fights modern day slavery and human trafficking.
Recently, I was accepted with a team of writers and bloggers to join The Exodus Road Blogging Team. Let me introduce you to The Exodus Road.
While many organizations work toward preventing human trafficking and others provide excellent after-care for victims, The Exodus Road primarily focuses on rescuing victims through covert operations and funding a coalition of investigators working on the front lines toward rescues. You can read more about how The Exodus Road began and the founder, Matt Parker (a former youth pastor) and his wife, Laura here.
Human trafficking statistics are alarming, including:
- 27 million modern day slaves
- every 30 seconds a child is sold for sex worldwide
- human trafficking is the 3rd largest global industry, behind drugs and guns
- 70% of trafficking victims are female and 50% are children
- the average age of a trafficking victim is 12 years old.
Does that make you want to cry? It does me. It stirs my heart to want to take action. I can’t help but think, “What if this were my child?”
Here are two of my kids, playing, keeping their innocence. No child should have to be a victim of slavery or sex trafficking and yes, there are many victims as young as my children.
Every child deserves to have a voice, someone to fight for them and someone bold enough to risk it all to rescue them.
The Exodus Road intervenes to rescue child slaves, human trafficking victims and to persecute criminals that enslave them.
We at The Exodus Road believe that believe a major component of fighting human trafficking is in the consistent communication about it. We believe that if we can tell the stories of victims and the stories of their rescue and recovery on a consistent basis, we will be using our social influence to keep the issue of slavery in front of our audiences. And when people are not allowed to forget, they will likely be moved to action– action to care more deeply for others, to become advocates for the poor and oppressed, and to stand up for justice in practical ways.
At least once per month, you will see a post from me highlighting The Exodus Road, stories of victims, rescues and ways you can get involved to help fight modern day slavery.
Here are a few ways you can get involved today.
- PRAY. Pray for victims of child slavery, pray for rescues, interventions, workers in the field or however you feel led. Pray for how the Lord would have YOU get involved in fighting child slavery.
- WRITE a letter to encourage an investigator before January 10, here. This can be gritty, hard work that rarely gets recognized, yet these investigators are on the front lines working to free victims of human trafficking.
- FOLLOW The Exodus Road on Facebook and Twitter.
- GIVE. Fund a mission with a group or a small monthly donation. Purchase equipment for our investigators. Donate to an organization that provides aftercare for victims like the LA Dream Center’s rescue project.
- Stay posted for more ways to give toward The Exodus Road and human trafficking at www.godschick.wordpress.com.
“You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know.” ― William Wilberforce
Subscribe to my blog via email or twitter on the sidebar to stay connected. Stay tuned for a story of a young girl recently rescued through The Exodus Road and insider information on how you can get involved to fight child slavery.